Learn from Churn
Churn is hard, but can teach you a lot. Whenever a user decides that your product isn’t worth it anymore, you have a unique opportunity to get deep insights. These insights are pure gold to reduce churn.
The Churn Survey is among the most effective ways to identify weaknesses in you offering. People were willing to pay but now are not anymore: What changed? Let’s find out!
- Ask at exactly the right point in time
- Follow-up to prevent bad reviews
- Coming soon: Make survey mandatory
To run the Churn Survey in your app you want to proceed as follows:
- Create new Churn Survey at app.formbricks.com
- Set up the user action to display survey at right point in time
- Choose correct recontact options to never miss a feedback
- Prevent that churn!
Formbricks Widget running?
We assume that you have already installed the Formbricks Widget in your web app. It’s required to display messages and surveys in your app. If not, please follow the Quick Start Guide (takes 15mins max.)
1. Create new Churn Survey
If you don't have an account yet, create one at app.formbricks.com
Click on "Create Survey" and choose the template “Churn Survey”:
2. Update questions (if you like)
You’re free to update the question and answer options. However, based on our experience, we suggest giving the provided template a go 😊
Want to change the button color? You can do so in the product settings.
Save, and move over to the “Audience” tab.
3. Pre-segment your audience
In this case, you don’t really need to pre-segment your audience. You likely want to ask everyone who hits the “Cancel subscription” button.
4. Set up a trigger
To create the trigger for your Churn Survey, you have two options to choose from:
- Trigger by innerText: You likely have a “Cancel Subscription” button in your app. You can setup a user Action with the according
innerTextto trigger the survey, like so:
- Trigger by CSS Selector: In case you have more than one button saying “Cancel Subscription” in your app and only want to display the survey when one of them is clicked, you want to be more specific. The best way to do that is to give this button the HTML
id=“cancel-subscription”and set your user action up like so:
- Trigger by pageURL: Lastly, you could also display your survey on a subpage “/subscription-cancelled” where you forward users once they cancelled the trial subscription. You can then create a user Action with the type
pageURLwith the following settings:
Whenever a user visits this page, matches the filter conditions above and the recontact options (below) the survey will be displayed ✅
Here is our complete Actions manual covering Code and No-Code Actions.
Pre-churn flow coming soon
We’re currently building full-screen survey pop-ups. You’ll be able to prevent users from closing the survey unless they respond to it. It’s certainly debatable if you want that but you could force them to click through the survey before letting them cancel 🤷
5. Select Action in the “When to ask” card
6. Last step: Set Recontact Options correctly
Lastly, scroll down to “Recontact Options”. Here you have to choose the correct settings to make sure you milk these super valuable insights. You want to make sure that this survey is always displayed, no matter if the user has already seen a survey in the past days:
These settings make sure the survey is always displayed, when a user wants to Cancel their subscription.
7. Congrats! You’re ready to publish your survey 💃
Formbricks Widget running?
You need to have the Formbricks Widget installed to display the Churn Survey in your app. Please follow this tutorial (Step 4 onwards) to install the widget.